View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
The kid got leveled (it was a lot of lb's on an awkward teenager rumbling up the floor). Did I think it was intentional or flagrant, no. Did I have to call a foul, I think yes, it would fall under the obvious catagory. Maybe you had to see it, I can't ever recall a similar play. My partner agreed with me after the game, a foul had to be called, it just didn't require a sledghammer.

[Edited by Brian Watson on Jan 18th, 2002 at 01:19 PM]
Here's a similar play that happened to me a few weeks back. A1 is driving to the basket. On his way to the hoop he carries the ball. I immediately blow the whistle for the violation. A1's momentum carries him into B1. They both fall to the ground in a heap. Both coaches are up and yelling by this time. A's coach wants a block call on B1. B's coach wants a PC call on A1. I come up with the carry violation and we go the other way. Here I am with nobody in the stands agreeing with me. Was there obvious contact? yes. Was any of it flagrant or intentional? No. I'm not going to make up something to please some coach or some evaluator in the stands. I also believe a call like this is supported by both the letter and the spirit of the rules.