View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Yes, the ball is not passing through the zone at 95 mph. But it has the same reaction time for the batter as 95mph. If you disagree with that, then I'll do some simple algebra for you.
Is this what you do when you walk on the field - use algebraic equations to figure the strike zone for today? Just get in there and start calling strikes!

Quote:
I've called 3 years of ball now, and have called that high strike for plenty of games, and gotten alot of crap for it, both from fellow umpires, assignors, coaches and players.
Three years, huh? Sonny, I've got a rash from my jock that is older than that. Who gives a darn about the crap? When you set the zone, that is the zone. When they start crying, you have to start dumping!

Quote:
Nobody is happy when I call it, and it just creates headaches. I don't care what coaches/players/fans think, but I do care what evaluators and fellow umpires think.
If your evaluators and assigners are breaking your balls over a letter high strike to 12 year olds, then guess who needs to be replaced?

Quote:
So I choose not to call it. I'm surprised to find out so many umpires would call such a high zone.
Stupid move. You start with the zone for the level of ball you are doing. You cannot call an MLB zone to LL players - plain and simple. We've been explaining that to you, but you will not listen! Now before you answer, pick up a LL rule book, a FED rule book, and NCAA rule book and then the OBR. Look at and compare the strike zones in each (Section 2). Use your algebra if needed to figure out the top end of the zone. Then you may come back to us with an informed answer, Sonny!

Last edited by ozzy6900; Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 05:42am.