View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukealex
Had a game last night which was a 40+ point blowout. Losing team started to get physical at the end of the game. We called EVERYTHING but to no avail.

Question is this: B1 ran at and tried to deliberately push A1. My partner told me this after the game and we debated on what to call. I believe a T would be the answer since no contract was made while the ball was live.

Comments?
I was working a state championship game last year and the game was already decided when one of the seniors for the losing team started looking to get more physical on one of the senior (headed for D1) players. Not that any of that mattered, but it was part of the game management. Anyway, the player started pushing more than what had gone on in the game to this point. I called it giving the player their 4th foul. The next trip down the floor they set up defensively and gave a high forearm to the cutter. I called the 5th foul and got the troublesome player out of the game. Coach for the team said he was just getting ready to pull the player and thanked me for taking care of it. A T wasn't needed or warranted in this situation, although further escalation would have.

Something that I learned at camp was go to the coach and tell the coach that this player is ruining the game and needs to come out. If the coach is unwilling to help, then if you think the actions warrant a T, then give it to them. A non-contact T especially a non-verbal unsportsmanlike T is hard for an assignor to defend.

FWIW

Last edited by icallfouls; Mon Oct 02, 2006 at 08:16pm.