View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 03:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Tee,

Moving is a request I seldom get, but if I do move it is toward a baseline as you suggested. I generally give a glance as to where I am in relation to fielders and runners. I try to stay in a that vee as I described earlier, halfway between the mound and the edge of the dirt.
First off, Tee did not suggest "moving toward a baseline." What he did say was that he agreed with me, that you take a step straight forward toward the plate, staying on the same line between the edge of the mound and the plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
It is now trained at higher level clinics that when an infielder, or runner, asks an umpire in "C" to move:

"Hey Blue can you move to your left?"

Is for the umpire to move forwards (that means towards the plate NOT forward towards the pitcher) and that moves the umpire from a direct line between the fielder (runner) and F1.
I was saying the same thing, not suggesting to move towards the pitcher. You can move a step to either side if you want, but I was saying, as Tee did, that modern training teaches the "step forward" mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Per my perspective if an umpire is properly set with his hands on his knees, the fielder should have the sight lines required to begin with.
You are right in that if an umpire is properly set with his hands on his knees, then the fielder and the runner should have no sight line issues. I am very seldom asked to move also. I try (hard as that is ) to make myself as small as possible when in the infield, so as not to impair anybody's field of vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
From A I have better view of pick off and C I'm a step closer to the attempted steal.
Did you mean "B" when you said "A"? Trying to picture it in my mind. Thanks.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25