View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 10:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Larry Poncino is a Joe West clone. Saw him the other night on TV. Situation is no outs and R1. Vlad Guerrero hits a flare into left field that U3 goes out on. Meanwhile R1 is off on the the hit. Poncino is PU. I didn't think he was ever going to get there to make a call on the play at 3B. He was still in foul territory as the tag was being made. He then cut inside fair territory to make the call of safe. Kind of bad mechanics for a post season umpire if I say so myself.
Poncino blew a call at 2nd base on the final play in the Padres/DBacks game today. Bochy came out to argue, and Poncino realized he blew the call and changed his safe call to out, giving the win to the Padres.

They play was a hot smash to Barfield's (F4) left. His throw pulled F3 off the base, but Gonzalez alertly threw to 2nd in time for the force, but Poncino, thinking it was a tag play, called the runner safe. That was the out that clinched the NL West. The score at the time was 7-6 after Hoffman nearly blew the save with back-to-back HRs.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25