Thread: Wing Mechanics
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 11:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
It wasn't for me. It was for somebody else, apparently.

But if I'm sure I have it, and there's no way he could see the ball, should I just acquiesce?

I'm with you on that, but I don't like crew discord, especially when it happens early in the first game of a doubleheader and you have to work with that person the rest of the day.
It is really not that big of a deal. Whoever has the best look gets the spot. If you know you do not have the best look, give up the spot. If you think you have a better spot, say something to the umpire. You should never have a big debate over a spot. Most of the time the only time a spot is going to be that critical is when it is close to a first down or near the goal line. You should not go crazy over this aspect of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
As I said, on a play that takes a while to develop, I can completely understand that.

I don't, but I paid attention in geometry class in high school, and I understand angles.

I'm saying quick out pass to my side. Especially a flanker screen. First I key on the tackle on my side and see pass. Peripherally, I can see the quarterback getting ready to throw the ball to this side, so if there's not another receiver from my side heading downfield (for a double pass or something), my attention can shift to the ball and whether or not it's a backward pass.

Then let me re-phrase the original statement: The wing(s) may have a better angle on it than the referee, depending on the situation.

And, if it's one of those situations, shouldn't the WH at least consult with the wing(s)?
Usually the official who has the pass thrown to them has the direction of the pass. But there is a mechanic that allows the opposite wing to rule on this as well. Just talk about this in the pre-game and get on the same page. Just remember, anyone can call a pass incomplete if they know it is incomplete. This is not just the wing's call all the way.

Peace