Thread: Wing Mechanics
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You should mirror each other to some extent. It is not about "trumping" anyone.
It wasn't for me. It was for somebody else, apparently.

Quote:
You are supposed to work together and get the best spot. When you do not have it, your fellow wing might have it.
But if I'm sure I have it, and there's no way he could see the ball, should I just acquiesce?

Quote:
Who cares if someone gets upset with you? An official that gets mad about this is either not a very knowledgeable official or not a very good official. Consider the source sometimes. Most experienced officials have no problem with giving up a spot. It is apart of the game.
I'm with you on that, but I don't like crew discord, especially when it happens early in the first game of a doubleheader and you have to work with that person the rest of the day.

Quote:
As I said before, it depends. If the QB is running around trying to avoid tacklers, not sure why you think only the wings can tell if a pass is forward.
As I said, on a play that takes a while to develop, I can completely understand that.

Quote:
I know at this stage of your career you might think only the wings might see this,
I don't, but I paid attention in geometry class in high school, and I understand angles.

Quote:
but the wings are supposed to have the receivers and their routes. If you are watching the receiver and their routes, how are you watching the QB?
I'm saying quick out pass to my side. Especially a flanker screen. First I key on the tackle on my side and see pass. Peripherally, I can see the quarterback getting ready to throw the ball to this side, so if there's not another receiver from my side heading downfield (for a double pass or something), my attention can shift to the ball and whether or not it's a backward pass.

Quote:
This is why I said it depends on the situation. This would be like saying "only the umpire can call holding." That would be just as silly to say the wings are only responsible for forward and backward passes.
Then let me re-phrase the original statement: The wing(s) may have a better angle on it than the referee, depending on the situation.

And, if it's one of those situations, shouldn't the WH at least consult with the wing(s)?

Quote:
It might be a "say nothing." Many times I say nothing to blockers unless the block is on the edges or out in the open. All I am saying is you could call holding on just about every single play. You have to decide when a hold gives a clear advantage and when to just pass. Not all holding needs to be called. If a player is being held and the team loses 10 yards, I do not know if there is much of an advantage.
Okay, you've cleared it up for me. Thanks, JR.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.