Thread: Wing Mechanics
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The spot is the responsibility of both wings and sometimes the other officials. If the ball goes to one side, that official might be screened or not get a good look. You will have to get the sport in those cases your partner is screened.
I can do that. I'm just wondering whose spot trumps whose, because I've had another wing get really angry at me for a spot that I had a better view of because the runner fell with his back to him.

Quote:
You should never give a TD signal when you did not see the ball cross. You might see something you did not and give a single incorrectly. Repeating the signal does not make the TD more convincing.
Right. So if you're 53 1/3 yards away and the runner goes into the corner, and the wing on that side signals, no need to go up yourself.

Quote:
Not necessarily. The wing usually will take the quick pass play. The Referee can easily take the pass where the QB scrambles or when the QB takes a deep drop. Who ever can judge a forward pass that hits the ground can make a call. A lot will depend on the play or the situation.
I understand on a play that takes a while to develop. In particular here, I'm talking about the quick pass, the outlet or the flanker screen. It's rare, even if you are holding the line and haven't broken downfield, that the pass will be directly on your line of sight (since that's the line of scrimmage), but if it's a quick pass to my side, I've got to think I've usually got a better angle on it than the R.

Quote:
What happened to the ball? Did the player being held make a play? Did the defense make the offense lose yardage? Was the player being held at the point of attack? Did the defensive player try to get away? There are really too many factors to give an answer if you ask me. Holding is based on impeding the player to do something they would not have done without the hold. It is not as simple to say "if this happens you always have a holding call."
Okay, so if jersey gripping is going on and it doesn't really have an impact on the play, it's a talk-to?

Thanks.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.