Thread: Wing Mechanics
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 12:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
1. First off, true or false? If the play ends on my side of the field, I have the spot, correct? (In this diagram, on the bottom half of the graphic, below the arrow bisecting the field):

If the play goes to the opposite side, I shouldn't try to trump the LJ's spot, especially if the runner has his back (and, therefore, the ball) to me, right? So he shouldn't trump my spot either, right? And if it's in the middle, it's possible the umpire could get the spot?
The spot is the responsibility of both wings and sometimes the other officials. If the ball goes to one side, that official might be screened or not get a good look. You will have to get the sport in those cases your partner is screened.

Quote:
2. Second, I was taught that if you're the opposite wing on a play at the goal line, there's no need to "mirror" the other wing's touchdown signal. True?

If a kid runs for a touchdown right at me when I've got the goalline covered, I signal touchdown, but there's no need for the other wing, on the other side of the field, to mirror me, correct? Likewise, no need for me to mirror him if it goes to his side?
You should never give a TD signal when you did not see the ball cross. You might see something you did not and give a single incorrectly. Repeating the signal does not make the TD more convincing.

Quote:
3. The backward pass. I was taught two things:
a. That it's the wing's call because he has the best angle on the play;
b. That, when in doubt, it's forward. If it's parallel to the line, it's forward. If it's not clearly backward, it's forward.

Is that right?
Not necessarily. The wing usually will take the quick pass play. The Referee can easily take the pass where the QB scrambles or when the QB takes a deep drop. Who ever can judge a forward pass that hits the ground can make a call. A lot will depend on the play or the situation.

Quote:
4. Not necessarily a wing mechanic, just want to get an intepretation because I've had two experienced officials tell me two different things recently:

An offensive lineman engaged with a defensive lineman can clutch the defensive lineman's jersey as long as he is clearly within the frame of the defensive player's body (the trunk), correct? I had someone tell me (and demonstrate to me) that if and when the defensive player got to the side (even) and then passed the offensive lineman, that the OL had to release, but up until then, he could grasp the jersey. And I had another, very experienced, state finals official tell me he couldn't grab the jersey.

That came into play with a coach yelling "He's holding him right in front of you!" recently and I had to explain that it was a legal block. I hope it was. I'm confused now, though, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for the help.
What happened to the ball? Did the player being held make a play? Did the defense make the offense lose yardage? Was the player being held at the point of attack? Did the defensive player try to get away? There are really too many factors to give an answer if you ask me. Holding is based on impeding the player to do something they would not have done without the hold. It is not as simple to say "if this happens you always have a holding call."

Peace