Thread: Scissors
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Hand Behind Your Back?

When I worked the box, 2 full seasons, I found myself exchanging unpleasant stories with other umpires about the shots we took during the season. I experienced painful knee problems too. I could actually feel my knees grinding as I flexed them or climbed a set of stairs.

I keep both legs underneath me, feet straight and heel to toe, and then squat as if I was going to kneel onto my right knee. The pain and the grinding sound vanished. I can easily work different heights, if needed, and I can remain set much lower for longer periods of time. I no longer need the recovery time the next moring while my legs recooperate from the stiffness. I am so much faster behind the plate too. There is no going back to the box.

I also rest the back of my left hand behind my back for lower back support, half of a military parade rest, and the right hand on my thigh for weight support. Each serves a real purpose. I laugh when someone says something negative about how one looks with one hand behind their back. I also laugh when someone suggests that one stand in the slot too. I now have a great view of the plate, I feel more comfortable, and I GET HIT LESS often.