View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Ahhh...the ability to focus on the keys to success is a bad thing now. Interesting. I find in my real life job if you can't get what the critical factors are and focus and execute on them then you are ****ed.

Maybe your job allows you the latitude to spend half your time navel gazing. Good for you.

I did mention your views are those of an elitist prick, didn't I? Yeah I think I did.

Anyways...*going* to college don't mean sh1t. Even if you are you.

You gotta graduate. And you don't graduate unless you know what's gonna be on the finals. And the mere act of graduating doesn't mean you're better than a garbage collector or a computer programmer. It just means you had the ways & means & knew how to play the game.
The keys to success? It depends on whether you consider graduation to be the end goal, or a step towards the end goal. If you look at college as preperation for career and a fuller, richer life, then an attitude of "I don't want to have to think about this unless it's going to be on a test" is a pretty poor way to prepare.

If you're in a science/technical major, you have no way of knowing while you're in college which bits of knowledge will be important and relevant after college. So being unwilling to spend time on concepts that won't be on the test is doing yourself a disservice. Not to mention, the concepts tend to build on each other so you gotta know A to learn B, even if A isn't on the test.

If you're in a more liberal arts major, the only really useful thing it's going to teach you is how to think and learn. And if you spend all four years dodging the thinking part on the pretext that this or that concept won't be on a test, you're selling yourself short.

If your job is like most I've had, yes, you have to know what the critical success factors are. You also have to know what the unspoken success factors are. You also have to be able think, learn, adapt, sometimes tap dance, and generally do whatever it takes to deliver on the critical success factors. In a world where jobs and roles and responsibilities shift rapidly, the idiot who came out of college with the attitude of "is this going to be on the test," will soon find his job has passed him by. YMMV

As for being an elitist prick, so be it. I look at it as being a realist. But I guess that wasn't on the final.