View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

When do you get involved in controlling fans

Ok first of all I have always left the fans up to the home management, but had a couple of questions about some things that happened recently and just wanting your opinions.

1) "Boys club" doing some cheering, they kept getting very loud when the opposign team was about to start their serve and quieted down to "normal" once the serve was done....my partner walked over and said somethign to them (didnt get a chance to ask what) and they kept their cheering "normal" all the time following that point. Question: Would you ever approach a group of fans to tell them anything?

2) Home AD approached a group of kids that were standing during the games, had a cow bell the whole 9 yards...anyway they were being ok IMO but he approached them about standing in the front row of the bleachers tellling them to either sit, or stand on the bleacher or in the foot area for the 2nd row. I was watching this game as a spectator so I got to hear a lot of fans reactions and they were right to some degree, those kids were not standing any closer to the action than the home team kids feet were that were sitting on the front row in the other section. Granted they were standing, so their upper body was closer, but seemed minor to me. This then got real ugly when the home team was at 24-something and the home fans stood to do the last point clap from the start of the volley, which put the front row kids in the exact same position that the other kids were in that got them talked to ......so finally Question: What does it take for you to ask the home management to "do" something with fans??

I have had kids get off the floor if they were sitting on the floor, reaction time is more, feet tend to get stuck out etc. but had never worried about them standing 8-10 feet from playable area. Also I had never worried about "verbal interference" from kids yelling during the game (with the exception of an "I got it" or "Mine", that has always bothered me ) But I am just looking for your thoughts about this.