Thread: Scissors
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I worked the "box" (heel-toe), as required, while in the minor leagues. I hated it for two reasons: my knees always, always hurt after every plate job, and (2) "the" ball always seemed to find my balls (or inner thighs) at least once every two weeks or so (I have some nasty pictures of what a person's inner thigh looks like after getting drilled by a 95mph fast ball that no bat nor no glove touched.)

Anyways, dropping back down to college and high school, I went to the scissors. Many people had told me that the scissors is worse on your knees than the box...I decided to find out for myself and I found the opposite to be true. My knees never hurt after a game. The only part that ever is sore after a plate game is some leg muscles (quads) and that's only in the beginning of the season before they "get loose". I have also found that I get hit a lot less in unprotected areas than I did in the box. I have yet in 5+ years to get hit on the inner thigh, for instance. (Hits to my arms and to my mask are the same as in the box).

Finally, at the time I switched, I had not heard anything about the scissors causing possible neck problems. I have had none...but after reading Tee's posts and talking to others over the last year or so, I remain very mindful to keep an eye out for any neck issues.

As for standing sidewards, etc.: The most blatant of all time, IMHO, was Steve Rippley (when he worked the scissors) who retired a few years back...watch some of his old games on ESPN Classic. I personally try (please note the word "try") to do it like Jeff Nelson: straight on, standing in the slot, shoulders square to the mound.

Just my two cents.