View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 11:52pm
Administrator

I watched the video with my two sons (13 and 16, both baseball players), and we all agreed that the Yankee batter did not check his swing. I thought that the PU did a very good job of letting the batter, catcher, and pitcher that the batter did not check his swing and that he had a swinging strike three. While we could not hear what Damon said, the PU umpire's initial response led us to believe the Damon asked whether the third strike was a called strike or a swinging strike. After that we still really couldn't hear was Damon said next, but it is my humble opinion that the PU then baited Damon. As a H.S. and college basketball official for over 35 years (and a H.S. baseball and fastpitch softball umpire for 14 years) I would definitely classify the PU's comments about getting into his business and asking Damon if he wanted to argue balls and strikes as baiting. I know that the MLB is a different animal that H.S. and college sports, but I would have put up the stop sign and informed the batter that balls and strikes were not going to be discussed and then let the player decided if he wants to press the issue.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio