View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the input everyone. It was late night when I posted, so I had trouble just forming sentences.
One of the primary reasons I proposed that the divisions play on the same night(we do have enough fields) was to free up coaches to umpire other divisions games. But I can see that if you are scheduling umpires, as long as you have the schedule, its not a problem. For the last few years, we just haven't had the umps, or a qualified uic to handle the job. Invariably, someone would try to put out a schedule with coaches responsible for games. The only trouble was, since the game schedule was the complete opposite of standardized, a coach would end up scheduled to umpire and coach at the same time. The game schedule has been such a mess that it would take hours to proofread and find errors, and then try and correlate another schedule to it.(i.e. concessions or umpires)
I can see that the solution though is to find enough umps that are not coaching. I found a Jim Porter article on recruiting and retaining umpires, so I will start with that, whether I am the uic or not.
Thanks again everyone.
Phil