Thread: LL Bat Question
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
"Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLeaguer
And besides that mantra that Real Umpires umpire, I don't understand the reason not to explain the rule, again if asked.

"If I'm acting in my role as umpire, I answer umpire questions only. I "know" some of the IHSA suspension / eligibility rules, but I won't give an answer to those questions on the field. I won't give a pitching clinic, or a rules clinic, or umpiring philosophy, ... on the field either. I have, and will, talk to groups during scrimmages (and I understand that word means different things in different areas -- here it's really just another practice) about almost anything related to the sport."

A "real umpire" understands that knowledge of the rules of baseball is a two way street.

Like Bob, I often go to pre-season scrimmages and help TEACH rules.

In fact, as the 1st Vice President - Rules of my local association part of my duties are to go to coaching clinics (meetings) and explain not only new rules but how all rules can be interpreted.

Once a game begins I don't "splain" nuttin'.

I don't even offer options (my bad, I know) . . . all coaches need to invest in learning also.

There is a place in baseball (small diamond) for people who just love the game, to umpire. They should umpire their games as they want . . . if they want to explain rules, keep track of non-umpire issues, care about particpants qualifications they should be allowed that right.

They should also understand that they will always be Smitty's and should be happy with the low level games they work.

Regards,
If you don't want to respect my decision to work Little League, Little League level ball, or my umpiring skills, that's fine. I'm not trying to "win you over." And, even without that respect, I've learned a lot from you in particular, and your advice has changed the way I umpire, so this exchange works for me. I think that in following it, I'm a better Little League umpire. I'm sorry that my learning process seems to frustrate so many on this forum.

Situation 2. OBR (American League) rules. The defensive manager wants to move the pitcher to left field and bring in a new pitcher. He asks you, the umpire, where the new pitcher should go in the lineup. Will you answer? If he asks if the new pitcher bats in place of the DH in the order, will you correct him?