View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig
In my judgement, a BR who stops a ball from rolling into fair territory has displayed poor sportsmanship and I would call them out.

POE 49 "The values of softball competition are based on sporting behavior and fair play. Coaches and players are expected and trusted with these values."
Is that the proper penalty for sportsmanship? What penalty is called for if someone (in ASA) has committed an unsporting act?

While I agree that it's not fair and not proper, that's just my opinion. Is it really not fair? Mike's supposition is very good, in that we don't penalize the defense for making a play on a ball in foul territory that may well go fair. Here's a for instance: slow roller down 1B line. Pitcher, catcher, 1B, whoever else are gathered around. The instant the ball is foul one (or more) swipe at the ball, make contact and bat it foul with their glove.

Of course they can do this because the rule book infers they can do that. But there's nothing specific that says they can — just like there's nothing specific that says the offense can't contact a ball that is foul.