View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 05:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
This sounds just like an informal fall ball league, not a regular FED game. I sure the gentleman in the stands helps officiate when no one shows up. Perhaps he has some umpiring credentials. The rookie umpire was more than likely all that was available seeing as how it was fall baseball. I would hardly think this game was sanctioned by the NFHS and was not counted in any standings as such. Doesn't everyone that does FED ball on this forum do games in the spring, when they really count for something?
Good point. It sounds like a "fall ball" or, as we call it here, "coaches league" game, which is very loosey-goosey, and nobody gets too upset with blown calls. We do a whole lot of these games, and sometimes they are one-man affairs. Much of the JV and all Frosh games here are one-man.

If this was a regular season Varsity game, though, I couldn't accept an umpire who had never worked a single game in his life working it.

This concepts of booking games directly thorough the schools, and any freelance umpiring sans association, are totally foreign to me. I would love to live in an area that allows that, because there would be much less politics involved in assignments. Working for assignors, you find yourself at the assignor's mercy when it comes to the games you have to work.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25