Thread: LL Bat Question
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Great distinction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I would answer with another question -- "What do you want to do?" Then, when he gives a specific answer (e.g., "That's all -- keep F1 pitching and remove F7") I'd give a specific ruling ("Then F1 will bat in F7's spot and you have no more DH")

I clearly make a distinction between "game" issues / rules and "roster" issues / rules.
Thanks.

I'm not sure that the line is completely bright, but I think that this is the same boundary other folks are talking about.

For example, I believe we've had threads in the past on this site that dispute the role of Real Umpires in the game issue of illegal substitution.

(LL-specific content follows)

At the extreme end, I also don't involve myself with roster issues; I trust that the roster handed to me by the manager or Tournament Director is correct, and I don't hire a private detective to scrounge up real birth certificates or anything.

But LL has some rules that push against that boundary (e.g. weekly inning counts per pitcher, though that may be going away), and I do feel that I'm helping the game along by just explaining the rules when asked.

And besides that mantra that Real Umpires umpire, I don't understand the reason not to explain the rule, again if asked.