View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 09:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballRef05
Another thing on pre-games. When I was working my way up to the varsity level I was surprised at the lask of pre-game conferences at my JV games. I often thought how in the heck are newer officials supposed to learn if there is no pre-game. Having said that, I WH a lot of JV games now and I always have a 30 minute pre-game to be sure the newer officials have any questions answered and have a good understanding of their responsibilities. I have never in 10 years of officiating walked out on a varsity field without a pre-game, that is mind blowing to me.
The only problem we've had for FR/JV games is the fact that many of us are running from work to the field. We get no locker room, so we go dressed.

But this season one of my crew members has taken it upon himself to demand we all arrive about 30 minutes early as we have a rookie on the crew. Most of the crew has made it so far (I have only worked one FR game as my business travel has been heavy) and it's good for us to try to get there early.

(An aside -- this year, I've asked other crew members to step up and take responsibility for things I've done in the past. One crew member is in charge of making sure we have 4 or 5 for all subvarsity games and managing the schedule. Another is in charge of contacting the AD on Monday for Friday night's game. Another is in charge of bring a VHS tape or DVD-R in a self-addressed stamped envelope since we have every game taped for later viewing. He's also the treasurer who manages the travel expenses along with the kangaroo court money. To be honest, all I've had to do is show up on Fridays and put my white hat on. It's been quite nice and everyone seems to be much more involved.)

We use FR/JV games to work other positions. I rarely work the WH position on Thursday nights because I'm trying to break in a new referee in case anything should happen to me. So I work one of the other positions, usually U, so I can help if needed. This Thursday, we're working our normal positions because our rookie is working his first varsity game on Saturday.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but the topic of pregame got me thinking about my crew and how things have improved this season becasue people have stepped up and taken responsibilities -- maybe the OP could be in charge of getting pregames started.