View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Umpiring is not that difficult

In light of the recent thread on "real umpires" I thought I would start a topic on Umpiring in general.

If you surf the net on the various Umpire Discussion Forums one would think that being an umpire is akin to learning how to be a heart surgeon. There is also talk about what is a 'Real Umpire" etc.

IMO, the best team wins no matter how "bad" or good the umpiring is.

Don Doniker got crucified for his blown call in the World Series. However, the last time I checked the World Series is the best 4 out of seven games. IMO, that one call wasn't the REAL reason why the Cards lost. They lost because they didn't hit a lick in that series.

Even if there is a "Smitty" doing the game the ultimate result will be "The best team wins". IMO, too much is made of officiating these days. It seems like every blown call is shown on ESPN these days.

Case and point: In the Giants / Colts game this past weekend, with about 4 minutes and change left in the game, the Giants got a bad interference call which negated a first down.

Was that the reason they lost? - NO The Colts moved the ball at will against the defense. They made key third and long plays all game long.

We can all think of bad calls in all the sports, but ultimately if you look at all the Champions in each of the respective sports, the best team emerged.

Here on the internet, we tend to complicate umpiring. Also, from my experience, even if you "suck" as Garth puts it. As long as the coaches (even if they are upset) see you hustling and being "into" the game will give credit.

IMO, what upsets Coaches more than anything is an umpire who doesn't hustle no matter how knowledgeable he/she is and gives the appearance they are there for a paycheck and paycheck only.

Therefore, IMO Umpiring is not that difficult. Yes one needs to do his/her homework. Generally speaking

1. Take pride in what you do even though we are amateurs. If you take pride in what you do the "other stuff" will come.

2. Look the part. Do not show up in pants that look like you slept in them or shoes unpolished, etc. etc.

3. Read the Rule-book However, Do not worry about those third world type playes that are discussed ad nauseam on the internet sites. In FED they have a nice table on base-running awards, and when the ball is dead vs. delayed dead. For OBR I recommend making your own table as these are important to know. In other words study and learn those rules which you will see in just about every game. As mentioned do not "rack your brain" on those which will hardly if ever happen or if you do not fully understand the concept of "last time by"

4. Work on your mechanics

5. Dealing with coaches comes with experience but do not worry about that either. The Coach isn't putting food on your table. Remember it's a game no more no less meaning do not take what the coach says personal.

Ok time to end on a note which will probably get me in trouble but what the hey it's a rainy Friday here in NY.

ANYONE can umpire, however, not everyone can play shortstop for the NY Yankees.

Pete Booth