View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

TussAgee11:

Since you are just 2 years into your umpiring career I'd recommend that you attend a clinic, maybe there's one taught by 'upper-level' umpires in your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
1) Keep working on timing as PU. See it, see it again, call it. Stay consistent throughout the whole game, and day, at the field on timing.

5) Keep focusing on the bottom of the zone, each game is consistent, but day to day it is not.
Being consistent is critical behind the plate. Timing is also important. Practice how you set up. Practice setting up so that you can see the entire plate. Follow the ball to F2's mitt with your eyes. See the pitch and call the pitch.

Work on your positioning, mechanics and timing as PU & BU.

Quote:
2) Dance the dance with coaches a little better. Know when to get vocal and when to bite your lip. Better understand what they are saying to you, so you can act appropriatly. Don't do anything towards coaches without thinking about it first.
You never need to get vocal toward a coach. You never need to do anything towards a coach. I don't yell at coaches/managers. I listen to them and allow them to eject themselves. You remain clam and your voice firm. If it becomes necessary to eject someone don't make a big show out of it, just do it.

Quote:
3) Stop signaling OUT on can of corn flyballs.

4) Act as though I don't even have an indicator in my hand. I'm decent at this, but need to stop glancing at it all together.
2 years into your career don't sweat the small stuff. So you give the out signal on a 'can of corn' catch, who cares, it is an out after all.

Different 'experienced' umpires will say "Get rid of the indicator." My advice is at this point in your career keep the indicator and concentrate on the important aspects of umpiring. I teach the new guys that if you want to hide your glancing at your indicator just adjust your mask with your left hand and glance at you indicator as you do. No big deal.

Quote:
Is there anything, in general, that I should begin to start worrying about as I begin to become more of an experienced umpire?
Worry about the things above. The higher level you work the more that's expected form you.

Quote:
Also, what goals can you all set for yourself this fall?
My goals are simple after more than 20 years:

1. Work hard, work smart, and hustle all game
2. Attend a clinic
3. Continue to improve my skills
4. Don't screw up when the game's being televised