Thread: Fahrenheit 212
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Internet isn't the Washington Post

I am one of the strongest supporters of free speech. The Internet is one of those strange animals that has great potential to inform but because access is so easy abuse is oftentimes rampant. For example I am interested in an eventual relocation to Florida. I signed up for an alt. FL board. It was so inundated with Spam, ads, and derogatory comments that it rendered it useless and I quickly withdrew.

I think that some "censorship" may be acceptable however I think just just one individual against one poster should not arbitrarily apply it. This could lend itself to vendettas by the person controlling the site. I think that a panel of at least three "controllers" should decide on the acceptability of a post in question.

I also think that it should be posted on the website what the "criteria" are for removing posts.

I know there are both sides to this issue but I am in favor of not posting anonymously. When we know whom you really are I think you would tend to be more thoughtful in choosing your words. Jim Simms - NYC