Thread: Omaha
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

If you're looking to move to Omaha, I think you'll enjoy the place. I've lived here for about six of the past nine years (between active duty with the AF and after retirement), there are far worse places to be. Obviously, football is huge here (at least one news story about the Cornhuskers each week, all year - no, I'm not kidding ), but there is also a lot baseball here. In addiiton to the NCAA College World Series (mentioned above), Omaha has Kansas City's AAA franchise (in light of the past few seasons, please don't hold that against us ). There are typically a pretty large number of USSSA and Triple Crown tournaments in town each summer, plus Legion, high school, and rec league. My American Legion post hosted the area playoff and state tournaments for the juniors level. You can also work rec league and high school ball across the river in Council Bluffs, IA.

There are three assigning organizations in the area, I worked with two of them this summer with pretty decent results. Game fees vary based on level of play and other factors. There is also a considerable amount of acrimony between at least two of the assigning organizations, something I didn't realize until I had committed to working with them. I made clear to both sides that I was going to honor any commitments I made and do my best imitation of Switzerland. I don't feel like I suffered any adverse actions from either one. I can give you more details via separate email if you'd like. Again, I'm not taking one side over the other, just relating my experience with the assignors I've worked for/with here.

Anyway, that's just my two dinarii. If you decide to move, please get in touch and I'll do as much as I can to help get you some umpiring contacts here. Hope this helps.

"There are three types of people in the world. Those who learn from the mistakes of others, those who learn from their own mistakes, and those who feel compelled to urinate on the electric fence." Unknown