View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 02:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by euby
Jrutledge....I am making no excuses for other leagues just my own. Not every league falls into the catagory you would like to put us all in.
I did not put all leagues into any category. I said that many opinions about these leagues are formed by officials all over the country. The assault I referenced did not happen in a league that I have worked. As a matter of fact I have never personally witnessed an assault at the youth level. But when you read many of these stories of coaches assaulting officials and players, 9 times out of 10 it takes place at a youth league and with some parent acting out of control. If that bothers you that many point that out, not sure what to tell you.

Quote:
Just because I see several really bad officals every year I don't automatically say all officals are bad. I'm not that narrow minded!
Can you find anywhere in this post where someone made that comment?

Quote:
There are no perfect leagues...or perfect officals but if you strive to be the best you can be thats all anyone can do.
Did someone say there were perfect leagues anywhere? Or did someone say they expected perfection in leagues?

Quote:
If a person is that unhappy officiating at any level then they need to move on because that type of attitude is like a cancer and will spred....all the way down to the kids.
I already know many officials that do not work those leagues Just because we talk here about these leagues and the coaches and parents, has nothing to do with the kids or our opinion about the kids. Youth leagues are ruined by adults who feel their kids are the "next coming" of what ever superstar that plays the game. It is sad when the kids are apologizing for the behavior of the adults or show how embarrassed they are when their parents are yelling at them for every single play.

Quote:
Its easy to sit back and say this isn't right or that isn't right but unless you roll up your sleeves and get in there and try to make a change...nothing will.

Thats why I'm here...remember...to do things the right way and make a difference for the positive.
I can tell that this is an emotional (too emotional if you ask me) thing for you and you feel that everyone should feel that "youth sports" are where it is at. When my associations try to get officials for those leagues, it is always for the officials to "make money" and to give younger officials experience seeing plays and dealing with situations. I have never heard anything about "giving back" or volunteerism as the mission for these leagues. If volunteerism was a major focus then people would drive all over the city to work these leagues. Considering that even the Little League Baseball Leagues that I have been round pay the officials money (if they did not they would have a very hard time getting any officials).

You will never change my opinion or anyone's opinion about youth sports just because you think they have a higher focus. We used to play sports in my back yard and everyone that played did not feel cheated from the contact with the adults or officials that were not around to work those games.

Peace