View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 11:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by euby
Well this whole post hits a real nerve for me as I am very much into youth sports for this very reason. Allot of parents are real idiots and I have to deal with them every year because a new crop will start with their little Jordans every year. I set the tone early in my clinic league (K and 1st grade) that parent behavior WILL be delt with and usually by 3rd grade most problems have been weeded out.

We have a board member at every gym during every game and they are responsible for game management. The officals are there to instruct and officiate not deal with parents. Thats my job as president of the league and I take it very seriously. At over 50 teams and 600 kids it is a constant challange to deal with parents without just telling them to grow up and get a life! But I treat everyone the same and fairly and over the years have gotten a reputation as being that way. Most of the time I just listen to their problems and that will do the trick.

To say that youth officals are there just for the money is a joke. All of my officals are registered and all but two are school coaches in the middle school or freshman level. They are there to promote our townships program and try to make our program better. They get paid sure...but I honestly think they would be there even if they weren't. I do what I do because of the kids and our program and put countless hours into running it and I don't get paid or even have a kid in the league...so why do I do it! So to make a blanket statement like that is just ignorant!

To say kids don't look up to sports volunteers is a joke also. Coaches always have an impact on kids as a role model and their behavior anytime they are around the kids is highly scrutinized. You act like role model or your gone...its that simple! For those of you who actually played youth sports tell me you can't name every coach you ever had...I rest my case. No you don't remember every game or its outcome and you sure don't remember any offical's but the coaches you do. So I hold them to a higher standard.

To say officals at the youth level aren't just as good and dedicated is also just ignorant. Believe it or not allot of officals like to do youth games because its fun and gives them a chance to interact with todays kids.

You are right...you can't compare state finals you officiate (I bow down to your presence)to a youth program because I actually have a positive impact in our community...and lets face it...you don't!
Excellent post imo, Euby. Too bad all league administrators don't have their heads screwed on straight like you do. The problem is that there are a lot of leagues that aren't administered as well as your's is.

Keep up the good fight.