View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
A player is ejected when the coach is notified. Until then, he is just a player with 5 fouls that gets to shoot foul shots. If you told the officials this player had 5 fouls, the proper procedure would have been to bring in his/her substitute and that substitute would shoot the free throws.

These FTs are with the lane cleared, as are B's for A1's T.
I can see merit to both sides in this mess. However, at the moment, I agree with the reasoning of JugRef. You don't cancel the FTs even though the officials made a mistake in allowing this player to remain in the game to shoot them.

Of course, this means that I disagree with Rut, no surprise there , but it also means that I'm on the opposite side of JR, which I've learned is dangerous ground and means that I really need to support my position.

So here's my support:
The logic:
A. The player who was actually fouled shot the free throws and since he had not yet been disqualified at that time he is allowed to attempt them and the points count. Thus this is not a 2-10 correctable error situation of the wrong player attempting FTs.

The rule in the book:
B. 2-11-11 Note 2: "The procedure if a player who has committed his/her fifth foul continues to play because the scorer failed to notify the officials is as follows: ..." "Any points which may have been scored while such player was illegally in the game are counted."

However, this is followed by the next sentence, "If other aspects of the error are correctable, the procedure to be followed is included among the duties of the officials." That makes it nice and muddy and gives JR something in the rules book to point to in defense of his method.

Also I thought that there was an interp issued on this a year or two ago. I'll have to check.