View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Where do you draw the line coach? If the foot is on the foul line after a shoot, do you let it go? If the dribbler's foot touches the line is it OK? How about when the heel comes down on the mid court line after frontcourt has been established? Should I let it go? How about the foot breaking the plane of the line on a foul shot, should I let it go?

No coach the lines are there for a reason and to let it go would be dishonest. Maybe one day I’ll do one of your games and I will let it go when the call is against your team.

I am not arguing that a violation which advantages a team that violates (foot on line then shot) should be ignored. OOB and a technical/warning for plane violation are two entirely different animals in my book. It has been stated on other threads that the "barely breaking the plane" violation is not called if it is not interfering with play, and that is merely how I was categorizing this. If you blow your whistle because inbound defender A1 has a non-consequential, unintentional toe on the line at the moment B1 releases a pass to B2 for the open lay-up, what purpose did that whistle serve? To grant A1 another try at defending B's inbounds play? Is that your intention? Note I clearly said that if there is a thought that B is disadvantaged, blow the whistle and warn or T up A (depending on whether previous warning has been issued).

I believe that complies with the spirit of the rule and does not disadvantage the team against whom this violation is supposed to have occurred. But it is always up to the individual ref whether or not a play always creates disadvantage, so you canblow it every time and not be wrong. I simply believe that you can choose not to call it and be OK, too.