View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
Here's a quote from the person that says that it's going to work...
"I hate to inform you…..but it does work…..they will never pick up on the first off sides and most likely not the second. In other words…you are wrong. Even in college….late in the game they start the clock again. The reason being…..if the offense is behind in the game and they are trying to score…the clock should continue to run if they jump offsides. (Otherwise every team would jump off side to stop the clock and not lose a down)." He said that this ploy was used successfully in a state quarter final game a few years back so I can't convince him that it won't work. What do I do
1) It's possible it has worked - starting the clock at the snap instead of the ready is at the referee's discretion.

2) That said, it shouldn't work - the referee should definitely not allow this to happen. I'm with those who have said they wouldn't even wind it after the first false start - when time matters, you're not going to get to run off an extra 25 seconds just because you fouled in my game.

3) Why does it matter if you convince him or not? You know the right answer, you've presented that to the other readers of the board. It will be up to them who they believe anyway. And there's really no need to "win" the argument.