View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like good game management in my book. Let me relate an experience of mine...

My second year I had a clock assignment for a playoff game. Home team dominated most of the game, and things got a bit chippy in the fourth quarter.

Visitors scored with something like 8-10 seconds left, but it doesn't matter at that point - they're still down by something like 20. So we have a kickoff, a decent return that ends OOB, and I stop the clock... and then look up to see :01 showing. Then I start berating myself for being an idiot. Sure enough, home team lines up to take a knee, visiting player comes flying over the line to take a cheap shot, fight ensues.

Now, I know the fight isn't my fault, but I bear some responsibility for it since I likely could have prevented it by looking at the clock before stopping it. (Of course, no one had ever suggested this situation to me before - a flaw in our training I requested be fixed, and it didn't occur to me until right after I'd stopped it.)

Is running the clock a few seconds in situations like this the technically correct thing to do? No. Is it the right and smart thing to do? No question in my mind.