View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth, i'm torn on this one. My head says it was the wrong thing to do, my heart says there's no question it's the right thing.
We've all had plenty of games like this, and we've all wound the clock when we shouldn't have by rule to speed up the game. However, rules are rules and even though I'll be the first to admit that I've done it in the past, now it makes me feel uneasy when officials in my association disregard basic rules where judgement is not involved. Even though philosphically we all agree that it's the right thing to do, I would almost rather that we as officials do not do anything that compromises our integrity and impartiality. If we can state that we followed the rules when something negative occurred, we're not liable (unless you have a different directive from your state association on how to handle these game situations). Unfortunately, liability is also a factor these days and right or wrong, officials shouldn't put themselves in a position to be held accountable even if common sense dictates that it was the correct action at the time.
If Team A wants to run up the score, that's their right. Is it poor sportsmanship? No question about it, but that's for the state association and the coaches and ADs to handle, not us.
Did we keep a few kids from sitting out next week? Most likely, but then if you or your crew does toss a player on the last one or two plays of a game and they have to sit out the next week (as in our state), then so be it. Lesson (hopefully) learned for that player as well as the rest of the team and coaching staff.
Our state is finally considering a running clock and point differential system for next year, and in my opinion it is long overdue. But our state rules interpreter said at our last meeting that until that happens, we must approach both coaches and get permission to shorten the game, i.e. "wind it". It's not up to us to bend the "black and white" rules like timing and untimed downs after fouls.

again, that being said, I'm certainly not going to criticize. I'm merely adding an another point of view so that we all can hopefully make the best decision when we're in the situation.