View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 10:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMooreReferee
Team A is leading 28-12. Team A's coach has been a total jerk for the entire game. His team has had numerous deadball PFs during the game. All that being said, his team was indeed the superior team in this game, and the score showed it.

So, back to the game. Team A leads 28-12. They get the ball back late in the 4th, like 40 seconds left. They run a play and get it down to the 10 yardline of B. Then they call a timeout with 15 seconds left. And they still have one TO remaining. They still have all the starters in the game. They run their play. Its a TD on an off tackle run. We have 2 flags at the point of attack, holding on #50. We mark off the penalty, and there is 9 seconds left. There is lots of smack being talked. Team B surely doesn't like the fact that this team is trying to run up the score. Players are mouthing at each other. At this point, I just had a bad feeling about the way this game was ending. I marked the ball ready for play AND wound the clock. And then turned my back so I wouldn't be able to see team A trying to call a TO. As it turns out, the rest of the crew followed suit. Clock runs out, game over, I hold up the ball. I know the clock should have started on the snap. I also know we had a foul on the last timed down, therefore an untimed down. But still, I just felt like this game needed to end. Anyway, coach of Team A was mad as heck. Had a few things to say as I walked off the field.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever had anything like this? How did you handle it?

Thanks
You aren't going to hear anything but "BRAVO" from me. What has happened to sportsmanship? At least where I live, they'd be taking a knee at this point.