Thread: Snap
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds7199
Can the center turn the football completely sidways when he adjusts the ball for the snap. I was sure that this was not legal, but two veteran officials told me that as longs as the center did not pick the ball up, it was legal. So, I read them 7-1-2 which says:

"The snapper may lif the ball for lateral rotation but may not rotate end for end or change the location or fail to keep the long axis of the ball at right angles to the line of scrimmage"

Am I misinterpreting this phrase? Because even after I quoted this rule, both officials still said it was legal to turn the ball sideways.
You have found something that is TECHNICALLY against the rules, but never called. The rule should probably be amended to allow this, since it's prevalent all over that this gets ignored. For your partners to tell you this was LEGAL was not quite correct - they probably should have just told you that this is not a booger worth hunting for.