View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
Out of the play and not playing are 2 different concepts that need to be clarified. You mentioned nothing about the block being illegal or malacious so those are not considerations. If the player is actively pursuing the play then I've got no problem with this (out of the play). If he is standing there watching the play finish then flag away and penalize as discussed (not playing).

My reasoning behind not penalizing if both players are continuing action is that there are so many conclusions that this play could have come to, most notable being a fumble. I'm not supporting cheap shots, but playing to the whistle is something players are coached to do, and think most officials make mention of playing to the whistle during the captain's meeting.
His question wasn't about flagging or not flagging the contact.

His question was with regard to what type of foul it would be.

Players should never be told to keep playing until the whistle is blown, not by coaches and especially not by officials. If you're using that in your pre-game conference, you should eliminate it. An official's whistle seldom kills the ball. It is already dead.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith