View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
One question for TH. Why is talking with your hands considered more confrontational than folding them in front of your chest? I've always thought that folding your arms in front of your chest made a person look like he was trying to be superior or judgmental.
I think using the hands probably appears more confrontational to those who can't hear what is being said, not necessarily to the coach. But as the coach said, it's easy for things to become volatile if you start gesturing.

As far as folding the arms across the chest, If I were standing directly in front of him, arms crossed and head held high, I agree that this would appear confrontational. However, when I'm in this position, I'm leaning toward him with with my head down, so that the coach can speak to me without yelling. Also, as I said, I'm not directly in front of him. I'm beside him, either facing the same way or facing the opposite way. In either position, my body language is that he has my ear. But at the same time, the arms tell him that I'm not going to stand there all day. Say what you have to say and let's play ball.

It's worked for me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith