View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwbam
It's 4th and 1 from the 50 yard line, When Team A breaks the huddle with 12 men. Prior to Team A getting in their punt formation the coach yells for the 12th man to run off the field. He does. As an added note their was no intent by Team A to deceive, just confusion on their part.
Interested in everyone's interpretation if this is an illegal substitution or not?
Had this situation last week and here is how did it. A had ball, 3rd and 8. Kid comes in. As WH, I get to stand near huddle. He says "Malcome get out". No one leaves. Qb then says, "Malcome, Get your A$$ out a here" . Coach begins yelling "Malcome get out" Finally as the huddle is breaking, (10 on play clock) Malcome runs off the field. Opposing coach raises all kinds of junk during the play. I go over, retell the story. It is not in the rule book. The rule states 3-7-1 "Between downs, any number of eligable subs may replace players. replaced players shall leave the field immediately."

There was no deception, just Malcome not getting off the field. The way my crew deals with this is, I can monitor if it is a mistake. 1st time, let it go. 2nd time, tell coach to figure it out. 3rd time, flags away. Now, if this is late int he season or playoffs, this is enough of a season for them to know, I am more inclined to not allow it at all. Deception in our collective minds is when the team intentionally does this or when a team comes to the LOS and sees an extra player somewhere on the field.

We have had very little issues by using it this way.