View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 01, 2000, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I have called the league this year to recognize the outstanding work of two officials in a game we lost in overtime, only to turn around and call back the next week to complain about an awful official that we had the very next week in a game we won. And I had reasons for my judgement that had nothing to do with whether we got the calls we wanted - I knew the one ref was awful based on seeing him in the game before ours. But my take on officiating is often different from that of many of the coaches I have dealt with in league play. If they win they are happy, if they lose they think the refs stink. Those opinions count for very little on either side.

I think that you listen to who you want to listen to you, but you need to be able to reflect on your own performance. I have to do that as a coach. I have three teams, one that went undefeated, one that won zero games, and one that went precisely .500. What kind of coach am I? I have to judge for myself and look for constructive criticism. If I stunk, in what way did I stink? If I was good, what did you like? Even if I did well, how can I improve? If you can't tell me those things, then your opinions aren't of much use to me.