View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
This is LL’s 18U division. The field was bad (grass infield), the softball was bad (mid 16U level, IMHO), and the umpiring was bad. We bashed some of the guys on the baseball LL World Series crew, but they were pros compared to what I saw today.
1 - the field was not "bad," it is different. Softball on a grass infield is weird, but they have been doing it this way for years. You would think that slap hitters would have a field day with the slow infield, but I am not sure it makes a big difference.

2. Note that LL Softball changed age requirements this year to line up with other summer softball organizations (Age as of 12/31). So the players are college players, just graduated seniors and a couple seniors to be.

3. Mid 16U level? You've got to be kidding! Half the GR (Div 9) squad are college bound; their top ones are heading to Div 1. The pitcher of a winning State Champion High School team this spring was not good enough to pitch on this team, though she is heading Div 1 on a SB scholarship. At least three girls pitched on winning state champions in the last two years. Several are All-State selections. One of the girls, a senior to be, has interest from all over the country; a CA travel team picked her up to play in tournaments out west this summer. Others played on national level travel teams. These kids can play ball!

4. Bad umpiring? Did you read my prior post about rewarding LL umpires at national tournaments. Sure they are not necessarily the best, but the PU usually is top notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mOklahoma!
WMB, I'm not sure if you can answer this or not, but does this WS rotate foul line umpires during the game?
I did not go this year; I had plans to be in Detroit and when our local team lost out at the end I chose not to change my plans. But in the past I thought maybe some of the umpires changed. Maybe the bases, maybe just the outfield. Can't say for sure.

WMB