View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
How does one go about talking to the coaches during the game?
I think TH gave some very good advice. This has also been something that has been difficult for me to get used to. In rec leagues, when I first started, I almost completely ignored the coaches. Mostly b/c I had no idea how to deal with them without it becoming a confrontation. Over the last 10 years, tho, I've gotten a little better feel for it. I pick my spots for talking and I only initiate the "discussion" if I feel I can keep it short and sweet.

Last week, I worked a game in which the visiting coach was vocal, but not completely insane. I had ignored him for much of the game, b/c his comments were of your basic "howler monkey" variety, for lack of a better term.

However, in the second half, I felt like if I continued to ignore him, he would just get more frustrated. So while my partner put the ball in play in the backcourt, I took a position in the frontcourt, at the foul line extended, right in front of his bench. I didn't say anything, but I stood right next to him, facing the court. I felt like I was giving him the opportunity to talk to me if he wanted to. And if it was not appropriate, I had the "out" of running to my proper position on the baseline. In this particular case, he didn't say anything to me; which I took to be a good thing. I gave him a chance to say whatever he wanted, and he didn't want to. I don't always do this, but it worked ok this time.

Quote:
Is this something that you eventually just get a feel for?
In my case, the answer is yes. It's not easy for me, but I've gotten a little better at it, I think.

Quote:
Is it something that happens once you have done certain leagues for a while and the coaches start to get to know you? Just curious.
Again, in my case, it has helped A LOT to know some of the coaches. They know me by name now and when they say "Chuck!! Chuck!! That was a clean block?", I feel like they actually are addressing me and not just venting at me. I may be wrong about that, of course, but that feeling allows me to respond to them without feeling like I'm being abused. So maybe it's actually better b/c I know them and not the other way around.

As you can probably tell, this is still not a very easy area for me . But I think I'm improving bit by bit.

One question for TH. Why is talking with your hands considered more confrontational than folding them in front of your chest? I've always thought that folding your arms in front of your chest made a person look like he was trying to be superior or judgmental.

Chuck