View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
Fortunately for me, since this was camp and the real coaches can't be on the bench yet (they just sit a row back and yell ), all I really had to worry about was the foul calls and the mechanics. I fully understand that I have a way to go before I get that type of match-up on my regular season schedule.

Maybe I am being niave, but based on my two person experience in varsity games (which is not extensive), the coaches are not that much more difficult to deal with. That may very well change when I start getting the bigger games, but so far what I see is that they expect a consistently well officiated game, they want to be heard when they feel they have a legitamate gripe, they expect a higher level of performance (physical) on your part, that you can explain a situation should there be a need and that you conduct yourself professionally.

All those are things I want out of me as well.
Larry, it sounds like you get it. I think many younger officials see the bigger games, see they really are easier to call, and think, "That was easy!" But what they don't realize is they don't have the experience to handle the difficult situations that may arise, whether it's handling problem coaches and players, or acting professionally on and off the court. You still need to have those experiences under your belt before you can say you're ready. I used to think I was ready after a few years, but now the more I know, the more
I know I really wasn't ready then.

(Used with permission.)