Thread: Just for kicks
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
9-6-3 "No replaced player or substitute shall hinder an opponent, touch the ball, influence the play or otherwise participate."

He meets the definition of a substitute (2-31-15), and he meets this requirement of illegal participation.
Does he really meet the definition of a substitute? I can break down 2-31-15 two different ways (I am leaving parts of the rule out, and how it is interpreted depends on how one reads the rule as a whole):

First would be "a substitute becomes a player when he enters the field and...participates in the play." In which case he would not qualify as a sub in this play since he never did enter the field.

The other way would be "a substitute becomes a player when...he participates in the play." Here the B player is a sub since he cleary has an influence on the play.

The bottom line is that we will save ourselves a whole world of confusion and trouble if we just rule the pass incomplete. Now, I'm not an advocate of making a particular call just to "save trouble," but here I really doubt anyone will do a bunch of complaining if you kill it when the jumping team member deflects the ball.