Thread: Just for kicks
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 04:42pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
My initial reaction is a completed pass in both since the B73 wasn't "out of bounds". There is no establishing position in football.
2004 9.6.D agrees with that - it would be nice if it were still in the Case Book.

"9.6.1 SITUATION D: Wide receiver A1 runs a pass route along the sideline. He takes two steps out of bounds and goes airborne. While in the air he: (a) bats the ball to A2 who catches the ball; or (b) catches the ball and lands inbounds; or (c) catches the ball and lands out of bounds. RULING: In (a) and (b), the ball remains live and the catch is legal. A1 was not out of bounds when he touched the pass; however, he is guilty of illegal participation in both (a) and (b). In (c), the ball is dead and there is no catch or foul. (2-4-1; 2-28; 4-3)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
Does he "participate" in this play? I say no because the ball hit him and he didn't make any attempt to touch or play the ball.
2-29 states that "Participation is any act of action by a player or non-player that has an influence on the play." This is certainly participation of some sort.

Reading the NFHS thread gave me a headache. It was useful, but it hurts my head.

My real-time decision on this, on my sideline (I'm a wing) is incomplete pass. I'm simply selling to whoever is buying that some part of that kid was touching some part of a blade of turf or some fabric of a nearby substitute's jersey who is on the ground when the ball contacted his helmet. If I'm pushed by a coach wanting it ruled something else, it's going to be the incomplete pass I just ruled, or illegal participation (9-6-3), because he's not one of the 11 players who started that play and he's "touching the ball, influencing the play, and otherwise participating." Let them send the tape to the state and then national office, if they want to, showing that the kid was 4 feet in the air - I'll take the fall for this one to gain clarification for the country.

The ambiguity in reverse-defining "in bounds" is where this mess starts from. This could be taken way to far, and no good could come of it.

Is the player "outside the team box" then, as well, as he's not touching the ground inside the team box? If so, that's a foul. (9-8-k)

Is he "outside the team box, but not on the field"? If so, that's a foul. (9-8-3)

Did this kid "enter" the field of play by leaving the ground out of bounds? If so, that's a foul.

This can get ridiculous.

If this isn't 9-6-3 illegal participation, then it's 9-9-1 unfair act, until some sort of clarification is given by NFHS or my association.

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 05:17pm.