View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

I don't believe this

SF writes:
" hope all understand your post, Garth, for what it truly is............"

I hope so, too: an attempt at tongue in cheek humor. I'll bet even Peter got it.

From now on, to avoid being misunderstood by you, I'll attach a warning:

"Caution, a dry, perhaps too subtle attempt at humor is enclosed in this post. To those of you humor-impaired, or just looking for a reason to start a fight: please do not read."

Good God.....

The original post posed the question of how we would work with good, competent umpires with whom we did not get along. I chose to illustrate my answer using Peter and myself as examples. Peter is a good, competent umpire and we have a past history of not getting along personally. I felt and still feel that this is an excellent example of being able to set aside personal differences and work together on the diamond.

So where is the insult? Answer: In your mind.

Where is the personal attack? Answer: There was none, just a truthful statement: I can work on the field with those with whom I don't get along off the field, even Peter, with whom I share a long history of not getting along. Where did I say anything that was untrue or mean-spirited?

As far as my association with eUmpire: I am not and never have been a moderator or employee. I was a contributing writer at one time, but a recent policy of eUmpire's dictates with whom I must develop a business relationship and, in my opinion, infringes on my right to association. I, therefore, ceased submitting articles to eUmpire.

I have learned one thing tonight: If it is at all possible for a post to be taken in the wrong way, you will do it.

If indeed Peter is offended by my post, I would apoligize, privately or publicly, whichever he prefers. I doubt seriously that is case. Peter would understand that I was addressing the premise of the original post.

If anyone who is unaware of our history or my sense of humor is offended, likewise, I would apologize.

But, I can offer no apology to you, Steve. The offense you have taken, you have created in your own mind.

A note to Senior, you are three fourths right. Jim, Peter and I would get along just fine. We understand the initial question and would set a fine example in answering it on the field.

[Edited by GarthB on Jan 15th, 2002 at 01:04 AM]