View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
In our training meeting the other day they said that you should signal the team control foul first. Then, if you want to, you can signal the additional signal - push, etc.

Personally, I'm going with the team control signal and that's it - why complicate things?

I actually didn't think that we needed a new signal at all. A team control foul is not a new foul - there is just a new penalty. Why can't we still just signal illegal screen, push, block, etc. and just report it and go on? Just my $0.02
I disagree with you, to a degree, on both points. And in both cases, it's about communication. Giving a secondary signal can head off questions from coaches. Team control fouls are usually off-ball calls and leave most people wondering what just happened. A secondary signal can answer the coaches' questions without any further interaction.

The new signal will, I think, clear up confusion about why we're not shooting free throws in certain circumstances. People will begin to associate the punch with no free throws they way they currently associate the PC signal. Especially idiot scorekeepers who aren't paying full attention anyway.

I realize that neither argument is entirely compelling. But I've found that better an official communicates, the less trouble he has. Usually.