View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Ace The Evaluator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
There is no mechanism in place to tell these shlubs that they look like horsesh&t. There's n one in W-port who'll do that, either. And W-port doesn't care, either.

Remember, we are in a vast minority when we cast asparagus at these umps. Even diehard baseball fans don't notice all the (minor and major) inadequacies of guys who couldn't buy a HS varsity game in Buttlick, ND.

You get to W-port via lobbying by your District Administrator, years of volunteering and not p*ssing anyone off.

Saddest of all, there is no one at LLHQ who is truly interested in advancing the excellence of LL umpiring.

And that's the way it is. Trust me on this.

Ace
ACE

I wouldn't group all the LLWS umpires as "shlubs". The Umpire Wed night ILL vs OR (L.B. Vidor TX.) called a great game. Maybe he didn't look like a "pro" but thats because he isn't a pro. Are you?

I will be the first to agree that there are some here who are simply not ready for this level, but not because it's televised and offends you, but because of the obvious magnitude of the games and the desire to eliminate umpire error. Some are better trained by their region or perhaps area association, and some have more experience.

Andy uses the umpires sent by the Regional Directors. When the elimination games begin, he tries to utilize those who have proven themselves the better of the 16. He would like it if all 16 were well trained, knowledgable, and used proper mechanics, but this is usually not the case. I know first hand that there is no favoritism nor politics in his assigning.

I'm sure like you would feel better if LL used Professional Umpires, and while that would seem like a great idea, it wouldn't be long before there would be a LL umpires union. A list of contract demands would be submitted to LL International and before you could say "were in it for the kids" we would have a strike.

NO THANKS.

The truth is that every year there are a few individuals who watch these LL Umpires on national TV and are pi$$ed that it's not them. Your comments wreak of such an individual.

AND THATS THE WAY IT IS. TRUST ME ON THIS!!!