View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't said anything, anywhere (on any board) about LL umpires this post-season. However, I will say this: Last night's (8/23) plate umpire was the first one during this world series that I thought did a pretty darn good job.

I thought he looked a bit like Randy Marsh with his stance, physical build and signal. (I'm not saying he was Randy Marsh, or is in his league, or anything of that nature). I'm just saying he looked like he knew what he was doing...unlike many, many others.

Which leads me to this:

Bruce Dreckman told our class that in the off-season you have to get in your uniform and look at yourself in a mirror. Look at what you look like when you make a call, and see if you need to change something.

I personally, always watch pro guys (and other college guys) and try to see what they are doing (with mechanics and signals) to see if I might want to try to incorporate something new into my "game".

My question is this: Do some (any?) of these LL guys ever do any of this? I mean, do any of them realize how far away they are from looking and acting like a pro, college or even varsity umpire? Or more simply, from looking and acting like a competent umpire, at any level?

(Like for instance: Where do these U2's learn that when they come into the inside, into the second base cutout, on a single (with no other runners) to go into the hands-on-knees set and stare at second base while R1 is retreating to first. And then they make a big dramatic turn and stare at first base (while the ball is usually now in the pitcher's glove on the mound.) Where, I ask?)

Maybe another way of asking is: Where do they come up with some of their crazy mechanics, since they don't see in on TV or at a pro, college or high school ballpark? Where do they learn this stuff? Where? Where? Where.

If they would just imitate some upper level umpires, they'd get more respect.

FINAL NOTE: This was a purely philosophical and esoteric post...I'll probably never know the answer(s). No replies are needed, but they are welcome.

ARRRGGGHHH.....