View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
If "ifs and buts were candy and nuts....". The deal is, Illinois had more opportunities to score throughout the game, which they did not take advantage of. No one call "cost them the game." The catcher could have blocked the plate better an applied the tag a split-second earlier on the squeeze bunt, and that would have saved a run. The team made mistakes, even more than that umpire, believe it or not.

I called that runner at 1st safe in live action, and the replay showed that safe would have been the right call. But the umpire missed it, and that's the breaks. Many times calls have an effect on the game, but very rarely, if ever, is that one call the reason a team wins or loses a game.
I had an out in live action, thinking U1 nailed it. Replay contradicted me, but it was very close, and something of a squirrel because of F3's leap.

Call me crazy, but I think the fact that Illinois had no hits, zero, nada, none, in six innings of play had SOMETHING to do with their ending up on the short end. Bad calls are part of the game. It's a simple game, but "you hit the ball" is a third of it.