View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Could you stop wiggling and answer the question I posed?

What if this happened on a field without a dugout...standing at the bench near the parents and other fans. Do you thinkthe umpires should ignore incidents like this, at this age level, in full view of the public?
Garth,

Well, I didn't mean to "wiggle". And, from a master of the "one hand clapping" post, no less. I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted.

Nonetheless.

If the situation I read about had happened in full view of God & everybody, without cover of a dugout, I STILL don't think it would have been appropriate for the umpires to intervene. For the reasons I stated previously.

If a similar situation were to occur that was more severe, more prolonged, and/or more public I could see the umpires putting a stop to it, ejecting certain parties (like the "slapping coach", for example), etc.

My point is that if it does not affect the conduct of the game, it is not the umpires' responsibility to address. It is the league's. Of course, at a certain point, it is ANY responsible person's responsibility to address. (See Neville Chamberlain, e.g..)

Ultimately, this is a decision each person must make for himself.

In this particular case, if it were up to me, the Coach would no longer be coaching the team. Nor would he be put in jail. The player would still be playing. He might sit all or part of a game. That's how I see it.

JM