View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30
I think the officials are very consistent. All the games I've watched have had a nice flow and have been enjoyable to watch.

I don't totally agree with the consistency statement. There are times when they are and when they are not. That is with any game, but as far as flow, no way. They have fouls on marginal plays to the basket all the time i.e. cheap AND 1's. That in itself causes for no flow. They are calling fouls on rebounding plays when the team who was in the position for the rebound got the rebound, once again adding to a flowless game.

When I watch a game I rarely watch the game itself. I am almost always watching the refs and 80% of the time I am watching off ball. The refs have to eliminate the let 'em play mentality and referee with a "referees set the tempo" mentality especially on off ball plays and handchecking up top. By calling these plays fouls we open up the game for more freedom of movement and hence more plays to the basket, more scoring, and all in all a better game for the players and the fans.