View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
Garth

IMO you're getting too hung up on this. Your job as an official is to enforce the rules of the game. No more, no less. Was the reaction of the coach inappropriate? Yes. But, I would bet that 95% of adults supervising kids in such a higly emotional setting as the World Series would react much the same way.

If I'm working a game and a coach kicks the $#!t out of a kid on the mound, he's done and I'm reporting the incident to the authorities. But a little slap because the kid is spreading F-bombs on national TV? Please...

BTW- Steve,

I'm a younger generation parent of 3 kids. I subscribe to the 'time out' method to a degree. What I mean is when I tell my 12 year old son to stop teasing his younger brother, if he doesn't he gets a time out. But if he is being disrespectful to an adult... let's just say that I've been told that my kids are very respectful...
And I believe that others are trying way too hard to excuse the basic act: a grown man slapping a 12 year old kid in the face.

There was no excuse for that violent behavior. The kid didn't "make him do it". He is the grown up, supposedly in charge of his actions and he decided upon an act of violence. This is reprehensible behavior and has no place at 12 year old level baseball game.

Do I have a bias? Of course. I am biased against violence towards children and I am biased against adults who cannot control themselves.